KAPCO manufactures and distributes a wide range of commercial aircraft parts and supplies, including machined products and assemblies, electrical connectors and components, seals clamps and couplings.
In addition to their own fabricated aircraft components, KAPCO is a distributor for more than 70 other manufacturers, with distribution centres strategically located throughout the world.
KAPCO made the decision to move its European distribution centre from the Netherlands to the UK. The company carried out extensive research to identify locations that would incorporate both the warehouse and office space they required.
They located a large, disused warehouse facility with offices in Bordon, Hampshire. Although the building was partitioned into several smaller areas, it had the necessary overall space to fulfil KAPCO’s requirements.
Hi-Level had worked with KAPCO on a previous project and was invited by KAPCO to present its ideas for the development of the warehouse facility.
Discussions followed in which KAPCO outlined its plans, which included remodelling the warehouse floor to provide a larger and more open area, creating additional office space and refurbishing and redecorating the building inside and out.
KAPCO specified that the building should reflect its corporate identity and achieve an optimum level of energy efficiency. Armed with that information, Hi-Level carried out an extensive survey of the building and produced layout drawings, which were fine-tuned in subsequent meetings.
Design & Build Solution
The remodelling and refurbishment programme included:
- Addition of a mezzanine floor to create additional office space above the packing and despatch area
- Removal of interior partitioning to create an open space for the warehouse area
- Replacement of damaged and worn out fire exits
- Replacement of the air conditioning with a new energy efficient system
- Replacement of old data cabling with new, some of which was fibre optic cable
- Fitting new offices with LG7 energy efficiency lighting and replacing light tubes in existing offices with energy efficient daylight tubes
- Upgrading the warehouse lighting with energy efficient lighting
- Replacement of carpets throughout
- Installation of new disabled toilet and modification of reception area to accommodate disabled access
- Decoration of the internal space, including a new vinyl wall covering
- Decoration of the outside of the building to comply with corporate colour scheme
- Creation of staff canteen area with two tea points
- Replacement of existing boiler with an energy efficient model
- Installation of energy efficient hot air heating system (when the roof space reaches a certain temperature warm air is blown back down again by fans)
The contract was carried out under the Construction Design and Management Regulations. The drawing design was approved and a programme of works agreed to be completed within 12 weeks.
Hi-Level appointed its Health & Safety consultants who prepared all the relevant contact documents and the site was set up accordingly. Regular site visits from the Hi-Level Health & Safety consultants ensured that the contract was within the specified CDM guidelines.
The company also appointed its Contract’s Manager to monitor progress of the installation, manage all health and safety issues and integrate all the changes/additional work within the specified contract period.
Hi-Level’s resident on-site Contracts Supervisor liaised with all the trades to ensure there were no hold ups.
Recognising that good direct lines of communication were essential to a successful project, Hi-Level set up regular weekly site meetings where issues where discussed and reports issued.
Managing Director of KAPCO, Dave McRobert, said:“KAPCO UK selected Hi-Level as our contractor following work they had done for us on an earlier project. From launch, their staff’s design flare, their knowledge of what could be realistically possible at a sensible cost and their innovation helped us achieve a really robust functional design for the 30 year old facility”.
“A design was created which matched our working requirements and actually achieved more useable office, warehouse and workshop space. Hi-Level then helped us build our environmental requirements for modern office and warehouse working conditions with the latest, heating, air conditioning and lighting systems, plus an advanced security and access control system that would allow us to continually tailor the building to our ever changing working practices and contractual requirements”.
“Hi-Level were given a very tight 12 week timescale to work within which caused inevitable challenges, but they responded very well even when we decided on design changes as the project came to life. We moved into the new facility on schedule and have been extremely happy with the quality of their work and the environment created. Hi-Level’s regular after sales support, checking for a satisfied customer, has been something I haven’t experienced much before from the building industry”.
Please get in touch with our sales team if you have any questions regarding our fit-outs & refurbishments.